More about Donald Trump! Things are getting bleak for him (which, for a lot of people, means things are finally coming back to bite him in the butt). Here’s what’s going on. (If you need a primer, click here).
• In retaliation against Univision for breaking their Miss Universe telecast contract, Trump is now suing the company for an unconscionable $500 million. I feel like this will be settled out of court, since Trump doesn’t have a very defensible case (in my unprofessional, non-lawyer opinion).
• Macy’s has severed ties with Trump, stating that they can no longer do business with him because of his comments. Macy’s had been selling Trump’s line of suits, ties and socks (which, ironically, were made in Mexico and China). Macy’s statement reads in part (according to CNN):
We are disappointed and distressed by recent remarks about immigrants from Mexico. We do not believe the disparaging characterizations portray an accurate picture of the many Mexicans, Mexican Americans and Latinos who have made so many valuable contributions to the success of our nation. In light of statements made by Donald Trump, which are inconsistent with Macy’s values, we have decided to discontinue our business relationship with Mr. Trump nd will phase-out the Trump menswear collection, which has been sold at Macy’s since 2004.
The company also stressed that it “stands for diversity” and doesn’t tolerate any form of discrimination.
Trump has since put out a statement, stating the sever was his idea. He put the statement out through Instagram (which is something to ponder about by itself):
He also blasted Macy’s on Twitter, writing:
Who is @Macys to pretend innocence when they “racial profile” all over the place? Paid big fine!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 1, 2015
• Serta has also quit doing business with Trump. Here’s the statement they released, as reported by NBC News:
Serta has a licensing agreement to provide mattresses for the Trump Home mattress collection, which are manufactured in our North America-based facilities and sold at select retailers throughout the United States and Canada. Serta values diversity and does not agree with nor endorse the recent statements made by Mr. Trump. We will not be renewing our license agreement with the Trump Organization when it expires at the end of the year and are in the process of unwinding our relationship.
Trump has yet to put out a self-serving statement about Serta. Maybe it’s starting to sink in that his statements have caused a chain reaction.
• People have stepped down from Miss USA. Flo Rida and Emmett Smith have stepped down as judges and MSNBC newscaster Thomas Roberts and Cheryl Burke have stepped down as co-hosts. Miss USA will now air on The REELZ Channel.
• The latest nail to the coffin when it comes to Miss Universe is Mexico refusing to send their representative, according to Mexican media company Televisa, according to CNN. CNN also states that Lupita Jones, a former Miss Universe helps run Mexico’s largest pageant (and the pageant that determines who gets sent to Miss Universe), Nuestra Belleza Mexico.
• Trump-gate has become a local Miami issue, with the Miami-Dade county offering up a statement of denouncement to Trump (as reported by my former place of work, the Miami New Times)Trump has several businesses in the county (like hotels and such). The county mayor, Carlos Gimenez has also returned Trump’s $15,000 campaign donation.
• America Ferrera has penned a Huffington Post Latino Voices op-ed thanking Trump for mobilizing the Latino community, the largest-growing and youngest voting block in America, to get up and get registered to vote against Trump and other people who hold the same bigoted views.
I’m writing to say thank you. You see, what you just did with your straight talk was send more Latino voters to the polls than several registration rallies combined! Thank you or that. Here we are pounding the pavement to get American Latinos to the polls, while your tactic proves most effective. Remarks like yours will serve brilliantly to energize Latino voters and increase turnout on election day against you and any other candidate who runs on a platform of hateful rhetoric…I hope you understand that without the Latino vote, there is no chance of you ever winning the election.
…Thank you for reminding us that there remains an antiquated and endangered species of bigots in this country that we must continue to combat. Thank you for reminding us not to sit complacently at home on election day, but to run to the polls and proclaim that there is no place for your brand of racial politicking in our government. Thank you for sending out the rallying cry.
Eva Longoria, on the other hand, goes for the jugular in a brutal way by comparing Trump to Hitler.
• This is neither here nor there when it comes to Miss America, but I just thought it’s worth noting that Trump’s hotel chain have confirmed that they are investigating “potential suspicious credit card activity.”
NBCUNIVERSAL EVENTS — NBCUniversal Press Tour, January 2015 — “The Celebrity Apprentice” — Pictured: Donald Trump, Executive Producer/Host (l-r) — (Photo by: Paul Drinkwater/NBC)